Saturday, March 31, 2012

Restoring an old waistcoat
This is an old waistcoat that my father bought when he was young, it must have been sometimes in the 50's. 


Sometimes in my teens I started to use it, but when I moved out 25 years ago it was left at my parents house.
When I visited Sweden recently I found the waistcoat again and decided it would be fun to restore it to its old glory, and my father was so kind to let me take it with me. This is how it looked before work started:




The first thing to do was to remove the lining and open up all the seams. 




It was then pressed and the parts were used to make a pattern out of it - I plan not only to cut the new lining from it but I might also make a totally new waistcoat out of it!


Next step will be to find lining - have been thinking of several different colors, but I start to think that a kind of beige / light grey lining (they way it was) is actually the best solution.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Västen har en gång tillhört en jazzgitarrist som hette Bo Björklund. Han var tio år äldre än pappa och spelade i en jazzorkester på Nalen i Stockholm. Bo gav västen till pappa när han var sexton år i samband med att de var på en jazzkonsert med Gerry Mulligan kvartett på Konserthuset i Stockholm. Bo var son till pappas morbror Everts fru Inez.

carin said...

Kul att veta historien - den kommer med nästa updatering!